|Orange and lemon loaf cake|
Orange & Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
- 4oz Stork Margarine
- 4oz Caster Sugar
- 4oz Self Raising Flour
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 Small Orange
- 1 Small Lemon
- 2-3oz Icing Sugar
Orange & Lemon Sponge - Method
- In a bowl, cream together the margarine and the caster sugar.
- Add the flour and eggs and mix together thoroughly.
- Mix in some grated orange and lemon rind and some orange and lemon juice (1-2 tbsp). Leave some grated rind and juice for the topping.
- Grease and line a small loaf tin and pour in all of the cake mixture.
- Place the tin on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven at 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4 and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the sponge from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Zingy Lemon Icing - Method
- Sieve 2oz of icing sugar into a bowl and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, mix together until smooth.
- Add a few drops of water to the mixture if it's too stiff and dry. Aim for a thick consistency, add more icing sugar to thicken, add more lemon juice or water to make it runnier.
- Mix in some grated orange rind.
- Add more lemon juice for a stronger flavour.
- Spread the icing over the top of the sponge.
Cut into slices and serve.
HINTS & TIPS
- Add more orange and lemon rind than juice to the cake mixture, the rind holds a lot of the flavour, too much juice will just add extra moisture to the sponge, whilst a little is good to stop the cake being dry, too much will result in a soggy sponge.
- If your icing is too runny it will run off the cake, too thick and it will be hard to spread, add icing sugar or water a little at a time till you reach the right consistency.
Click here for a printable PDF version.