Sunday 8 May 2011

Ford Puma Car Cake

Ford Puma Cake
This is the third vehicle cake we've made and the first time we've made a car and I'm so pleased with how it turned out.  We thought this may have been a bit of a challenge but ironically it was one of the easiest cakes we've made, there were no dramas and everything went smoothly.  And the difference......planning and doing things in stages.

As we don't use shaped cake pans this car needed to be sculpted out of a stack of sponges, it's three layers of sponge with jam and buttercream filling between each layer.  As I was sculpting away I thought it may be best to sculpt most of the features, such as the windows, lights and indents to the body of the car, and I was right.  When it came to covering the cake with the icing it was simply a matter of smoothing out all the details and all that was left to do was mark out some extra detailing and adding lights and other small details.

Various stages of cake making and final views
The wheels took quite a long time to make as the alloys were piped with royal icing.  Once the icing was set they needed to be painted with edible silver paint with a ridiculously tiny paint brush! 

Alloy wheel
I just hope Steve is happy with his cake.

1 comment:

PaulQ said...

That's great. I will make one for my car's 15th birthday

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...